Welcome to the Grade 5/6 class website.
The class webpage will be used as a simple blog to post homework assignments, announcements regarding special events, and other pertinent classroom information. I will try to post announcements at the beginning of each week. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me at jlagasse@SD50.bc.ca or by phoning the school and leaving a message with the secretary so I can call you back.
NOTICES AND CLASS NEWS
Week of February 6th, 2017
As mentioned in the notice home last Friday, Mr. Burton will now be teaching the grade 5/6 class smooth transition this week and will continue to work with the class in my new role as the school’s student support teacher.
This week, I will be contacting all parents by phone to provide you with an interim report about your child’s progress as well as answer any questions you may have regarding the change in teaching assignments.
If you have any questions that you would like to ask Mr. Burton directly, feel free to leave a message with the school secretary. Mr. Burton will be happy to contact you.
The class webpage will be taken down in the coming month.
Week of January 23rd, 2017
- This week, Grade 5’s will be participating in their third outdoor ed. trip of the year. They will be building outdoor shelters. The outdoor ed. trip will be on Tuesday. Students will be within walking distance of the school. Students should have a packed lunch and be dressed to be outside for the entire day.
- For math, we will be reviewing fractions.
- Just a quick reminder that the class’ art show is currently on display at the Haida Gwaii Museum.
Week of January 16th, 2017
- This week we will be preparing for the class’ art show opening that is planned for 5 pm on Friday at the Kay Center. On display will be work from Ms. Karrow’s Kindergarten class and the Gr. 5/6 class. The work will include acrylic paintings and clay bowls and plates.
- On Thursday, Sk’aadgaa Naay will be hosting the district European Handball playday. I will be helping with refereeing and coaching.
- If you have not received a copy of the Term 2 overview notice home, you can click on the following link for a digital copy:2nd_term overview. The notice was sent home last week and outlines some of the topics we hope to cover this term.
- Last Friday’s Math quiz and Dictation results will be sent home on Monday the 16th.
- This week’s dictation sentence is:
- My down blanket was soft, but I missed the musky smell of furry hides, the comforting aroma of smoke drifting through the air, and the darkness of the tent, even in summer.
- In Math we will be continuing to practice strategies for dividing numbers to a thousand.
Week of January 9th
- As with last week, we will be doing lots of art. On Monday and Wednesday, we will be working on our still life acrylic paintings. On Friday we will be painting the glaze onto our clay plates.
- Dictation sentences this week are the following:
- Do you see this rock?
- It was once jagged and full of sharp, jutting points, but the water of the ocean slapped and slapped at it, carrying away its angles and sharp edges.
- Now it is nothing but a small pebble.
- Last Friday, the spelling test was missed to accommodate our painting project. The project took longer than anticipated.
- This week in math we are continuing to discuss strategies for division.
Week of January 3rd, 2017
Happy New year 🙂
- We art starting the New Year off with an art filled week! This week we intend to learn about acrylic painting with Sheila Karrow on Wednesday and Friday. Also on Friday we will be making clay plates with a local potter. The art is part of a larger project about Food Stewardship and healthy eating.
- Students where handed new agendas today if they had lost their previous agendas.
- This week we will be doing a list of spelling words instead of dictation sentences. Spelling words went home on Tuesday.
- Math homework will continue to consist of reviewing topics covered in class. This week we finished our “Place Values Unit” and will begin discussing division.
Week of November 29th, 2016
- The main homework for this week is for students to memorize our Christmas song (Santa Claus is Coming to town). Lyrics are attached below:
- The weekly Dictation will be based on the Christmas song lyrics.
- This week in math we will be reviewing how to add and subtract large numbers (up to a million)
- Report cards go home on Wednesday.
- Parent Teacher interviews are on Thursday. To book an interview time, contact the school office. School will be dismissed early to accommodate Parent-Teacher interviews. Students are welcome to come to interviews.
- Math and Dictation quiz will be on Friday
Week of November 22nd, 2016
- No dictation sentences this week.
- For math homework, students can practice their division facts flash cards. They were sent home Tuesday. The cards practice division facts to 100 (e.g. 18 ÷ 6 = 3 ).
- We will be beginning to learn our Christmas Concert song this week.
- The hockey playday is scheduled to be on Thursday.
Week of November 14th, 2016
- On Monday, new Dictation sentences will be sent home. Also, results from last week’s Dictation and Math quizzes will be sent home.
- This week’s Dictation sentences are:
- Faster and faster the peach fell as it raced closer to the thousands of houses below.
- If the peach crashed into the ground, it would surely smash into a million pieces.
- For the next thirty seconds the whole city held its breath, waiting for the end to come.
- The week’s Dictation and Math quizzes will be on Friday.
- For math this week, we will continue to practice writing numbers in words and will also practice comparing and ordering numbers to a billion.
Week of November 8th, 2016
- On Monday, we will be participating in our third nutrition workshop facilitated by Jessie Newman (Skidegate Health Center nutritionist) and Jenn Dysart. Students will be learning about pumpkins.
- This week’s new dictation sentences go home on Monday. The quiz will be on Thursday. Sentences : 11_7_sp
- Math homework will be to practice reading and writing numbers to 1 billion.
- Last week’s multiplication quiz results go home on Tuesday.
- On Tuesday, the second Grade 5 outdoor ed. day facilitated by Mount Moresby Adventure Camp will be occurring. Notice: outdoor_ed_november-8th
- On Thursday, the school will be having its annual Remembrance Day assembly.
- Friday – Remembrance Day – No school
Week of October 31st, 2016
- On Monday, we will be completing a Halloween themed buddy activity with the Kindergarten students. Students are welcome to dress up for the day. There will be a school costume parade in the afternoon.
- Tuesday will be a ProD day.
- There will be no dictation sentences this week to accommodate for special Halloween activities and the ProD day.
- We will still have a math quiz given that we missed last weeks quiz because of an unexpected fire drill. The quiz will assess knowledge of multiplication facts.
- Dictation results from October 28th will be sent home on Wednesday.
Week of October 24th, 2016
- This week, the class will use oil pastels to make drawings of chanterelle mushrooms to accompany the piece of writing students completed last week. Last week’s Dictation results will be sent home on Monday
- Last week’s math test results will go home for parents to review on Tuesday. The test marked the end of our math unit on patterns. Parents will be asked to sign a note stating that you have received the test results.
- Thursday evening our class animation will be screened at the Kaay Center, all are welcome.
- Homework for the week will include:
- Practicing Dictation sentences for the Friday test.
- Practicing for Friday’s multiplication quiz (t0 be announced Tuesday).
Week of October 17th, 2016
- Monday we will be participating in a food workshop facilitated by Jessie Newman, the Nutritionist from the Skidegate health center and Jenn Dysart who is working with island foods. We will be learning about Chanterelle mushrooms.
- Last week’s quiz results were sent home Monday.
- Tuesday we will be practicing singing with Paula.
- Wednesday we will be watching the class animation we made last week. A notice will be sent home to inform families of when the animation will be presented at the Kaay Center for all to attend.
- The dictation quiz will be on Thursday as well as a Math test on patterns.
- Friday is a ProD day.
Week of October 11th, 2016
- This week, the class will be participating in a 2-day animation workshop. By the end of the workshop, the class hopes to have created a short animation for screening.
- On Wednesday, Grade 5 students will be participating in their first outdoor education day facilitated by Mount Moresby Adventure Camp. Please remind your child to dress appropriately for the weather as they will be outside all day.
- For homework this week, students will be working to memorize the “squared” numbers from their times tables (e.g. 2×2 , 3×3, 4×4…. 10×10).
- New dictation sentences were given out on Tuesday.
- Quizzes will be on Friday.
- Last week’s dictation and math quiz results were sent home on Tuesday the 11th for parents to see the results.
Week of October 3rd, 2016
- Dictation sentence were sent home on Monday. Grade 5 students must practice the first 3 sentences. Grade 6 students must practice the first 4 sentences. Regardless of grade, all students are encouraged to practice all five sentences and will be awarded bonus points for doing so.
- For math homework this week, students are working to memorize the 3 & 6 times tables.
- Graded math projects were sent home on Monday so parents could discuss results with their child. Suggestions for discussions include:
- Asking your child to describe their project and what they practiced
- Highlighting things you think your child did well
- Asking your child what they think they could improve
- The 4 and 8 timestable quiz results were sent home on Tuesday.
- Grade 6 Immunization permission forms are due on Tuesday, Oct. 4th
- I will be away Thursday coaching the school soccer team at the Port Clements Soccer playday.
- The math quiz and dictation test will be on Friday.
September 27th, 2016
- First Term Overview sent home
- Students are to study their 4 & 8 multiplication tables for a Friday quiz.
- This week’s dictation sentences were sent home on Monday.
- Last Friday’s quiz results were sent home on Monday.
- Wednesday there will be a story telling performance at the school.
- Thursday is the school’s Terry Fox run. Students are reminded to wear their team colours.
- Friday is Orange shirt-day.